Clearing up Citrus lock down

On Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 4:27 p.m., an unidentified APU student called 911 to report a man with what he believed was the outline of a gun under the man’s jacket.

Department of Campus Safety dispatcher heard a call over the police scanner from Azusa Police Department’s dispatch to all officers regarding a suspicious subject with a possible gun. Azusa PD responded to the call but could not locate the subject.

At 4:34 p.m., Azusa PD and APU’s Campus Safety Officers met with the reporting party on West Campus to further interview the individual on what he or she saw.

At 4:44 p.m., a Campus Safety officer located a subject who matched the description given by the reporting party.

“The subject was on the sidewalk on Citrus Ave. near the canal,” APU’s Department of Campus Safety Deputy Chief Terry Meyer said. “Campus Safety dispatch notified Azusa PD while the Campus Safety officer followed the subject at a safe distance, waiting for Azusa PD.”

The subject entered Citrus College’s Student Services building. Azusa PD and Glendora PD responded and set up a containment around the building in an effort to keep the subject contained in the area. The building was put under lock down, as was the 200 ft. surrounding the Student Services building. Campus Safety officers continued to be visible deterrants by patrolling the APU area.

“We then assigned an officer to the Citrus Campus Safety Office to act as a liaison to extract first hand information on the process going on at Citrus and to assist if need be,” Meyer said. “So we can make proper decisions on what’s best for our campus.”

At 6:16 p.m. Meyer sent a campus alert to the APU community regarding what was happening on Citrus College. Per Clery Act, universities must send out a campus alert if there is a perceived or ongoing threat.

At 7:26 p.m. Meyer sent an update to the campus alert after receiving information from Azusa PD and Citrus College’s Campus Safety that there was no longer any threat to the APU community as the subject was not located in the building.

“They did not locate the subject in the building. However, they still felt comfortable enough to send the ‘all-clear’ message,” Meyer said. “We then considered the situation over and [it was] no longer a threat.”